CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Fibromyalgia Study

About a month ago my friend called me saying she saw an ad in the newspaper to cure fibromyalgia. It sounded interesting, so she cut out the ad and brought it to me. Kaleb and I called and signed up to go to a meeting about it. I was worried they were going to say they had found the perfect pill to cure fibromyalgia, but it just had a "few" side effects. Luckily it doesn't involve taking a pill at all!! The doctors theory is that Fibromyalgia pain can be taken away by using the Pettibon system to realign and strengthen the neck. It sounded very promising! Kaleb and I both felt that this was something that could really help me! So we signed me up. They had tons of people want to participate! There was only 10 fully paid for spots and 30 spots to do another study, at cost. I had to fill out paperwork and get a couple x-rays. Then the dr selected those that fit the study criteria and then randomly selected those that got in the group of 10.
We told everyone to pray that I would get in the group and our prayers were answered! We received a call saying that I was in the group of 10! We went in and found out more of what I would have to do and then we got to see my x-rays. First the dr put up a sample x-ray of how a neck should look, with a nice curve and how they measure the alignment from the pituitary gland. Then he put up my x-ray. Wow!! No wonder I have felt like crap for soooo long! I have absolutely NO curve in my neck, completely straight! Also he showed us on the x-ray where you could see that I have 2 torn ligaments. The alignment from my pituitary gland is 29mm off, causing my head to put 30lbs of pressure on my neck instead of the normal 15lbs! Then he put up the front x-ray that showed that my spine leans to the right. At this point I wasn't sure if I should shout for joy or cry. For the past 10ish years I have been trying to get the many doctors I have seen to believe me that there was something wrong with my body! I have done so many tests and they always come back in the normal range, and now, finally, there was a test that showed how messed up my body was!!!
So on Monday I started the 6 month study. First I have to "hang" from a traction unit. Then do exercises on a wobble chair. Then the dr adjusts my spine. But it is not as easy as it sounds! My body is totally in shock! We are trying to move the spine and let the spinal fluid flow through my body like it is supposed to. Imagine a kinked hose and how much pressure is released when you let it go! I can definately feel a change in my neck, but also have pain with it. I also have been feeling sick to my stomach, which the dr says is normal as your body starts to recognize the toxins that have built up in your body and as it tries to eliminate them. Of course I am in pain, but the pain is different from fibromyalgia pain and we are very hopeful that this pain will be for a short while and then I will be feeling better for a long while! I've had so much fibromyalgia pain for so long, that I really don't care how much pain I am in now, as long as I get better!!
This week I have to go in 2 times a day for the first four days. Next week we will be in New Mexico for Christmas, but I will have the equipment I need to take with me to continue the exercises twice a day. As I progress the schedule changes on how often I have to go into the doctors office. I will keep posting and let you all know how I am doing. Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Doreen said...

Good luck! It sounds like the dr is definitely on to something. I really hope this works for you! :o)

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Sounds very promising.

I live in NM...

Kermit~the~Frog said...

Sounds promising!

I live in NM...

kanaboke said...

wishing you Luck! And a future free of the pain that's plagued so much of your past and present.

The Rashall Family said...

That is great that you got in! I am so happy for you guys.